Welcome to RailMeasurement
- 23-Aug-2012 New RCA for measurement speeds from 0.5 to 50km/h
- 17-Aug-2012 RailMeasurement at InnoTrans
- 24-Oct-2011 CAT, RCA and HSRCA information updates
- 27-Sep-2011 MSRCA Information Update
- 31-Jul-2011 RailMeasurement in China
RailMeasurement Ltd is a professional engineering company founded by Dr Stuart Grassie, who has 35 years experience in development and use of precision instruments and complementary software for measurement and analysis of rail corrugation. An article written by Dr Grassie in the 1990's on different techniques for measuring corrugation is widely quoted in the literature. The Directors of RailMeasurement Ltd, Dr Grassie and Dr Martin Saxon, have worked jointly with railway systems and suppliers worldwide for almost 25 years to provide equipment and software that satisfies the needs of the industry. Our equipment is not only practical, accurate and robust but is also attractively priced.
RailMeasurement’s equipment and software include the following:
- instruments for the measurement of longitudinal rail corrugation and acoustic roughness. These products conform to the relevant international standards for measurement and analysis: we have been at the forefront of establishing and contributing to these standards.
- instruments for the measurement of wheel corrugation, roughness, out-of-round and diameter.
- software to analyse transverse profiles of wheels and rails.
- Software that calculates summary Grinding Compliance Indices (GCIs), based on transverse and also (if desired) longitudinal profiles, and Rail Quality Indices (RQIs). The GCI is a summary figure (0-100%) that indicates the extent to which rail deviates from the desired transverse profile and limits on corrugation, while the RQI combines the GCI with an indication of rail wear relative to allowable limits.
- software for the visualisation and analysis of large quantities of track data, for maintenance and planning use.
We provide the following services:
- Hire of equipment to measure rail corrugation and acoustic roughness.
- Surveys of corrugation or acoustic roughness of railway lines, railway systems or test sections e.g. for testing to EN ISO3095:2006 or to identify areas that require reprofiling.
- We can arrange a complementary service to measure acoustic roughness of railway wheels.
- Instrumentation and analysis for noise measurements. This work can be combined with corrugation and roughness measurements or undertaken independently of such measurements.
- Instrumentation and control product design
For more information about these products, consultancy on the wheel/rail interface or on railway noise, or our capability in bespoke and customised instruments and software, please contact us.